Disability benefits (unlike Supplemental Social Security Income) can only be paid to persons whom have worked a certain amount of time making them eligible. For a person to be eligible, that person must pass two different earnings tests. First the person must have enough recent work based on their age at the time of disability. Next, the person must have worked long enough according to their age as determined by social security. For a more comprehensive understanding of this, please go to the Social Security Administration's handbook on Social Security Disability Benefits.
Social Security disability benefits are dependent on your average lifetime earnings. With Social Security disability benefits, certain members of your family may qualify for benefits including:
- A spouse age 62 or older.
- A spouse at any age if that person is caring for a child of yours who is younger than age 16 or disabled.
- An unmarried child younger than age 18 or younger than 19 if in elementary or secondary school full time. This includes adopted children. It also can include step children and grandchildren in some cases.
- An unmarried child, age 18 or older, if he or she has a disability that started before age 22.
- There are situations where a divorced spouse may qualify for benefits. If money is paid to a divorced spouse it does not reduce your benefit or any benefits due to your current spouse or children.
Most often we advise you to fill the initial application out and begin the process yourself. If you get approved for benefits, then you don't need an attorney's assistance. However, many times, people are denied during the initial application but upon reviews or requests for rehearing they become eligible. This is where an attorney can help your case a lot. Try not to get discouraged.
Our disability attorneys can help you. Wherever you are in the process, we are here to help you. Call today to discuss your case with one of our disability benefit attorneys at 515-955-2193 or 855-955-2193. With offices located in Fort Dodge, Iowa and Marshalltown, Iowa we provide services to clients located in central and North Central Iowa.
Johnson, Bonzer and Barnaby PLC
809 Central Avenue
Fort Dodge, Iowa 50501
103 South 2nd Avenue
Marshalltown, Iowa 50158